The Sunshine Coast Film Society seeks to cultivate film appreciation and provide an alternative to mainstream entertainment on the Sunshine Coast.
Our principal objectives are to:
- bring people together to learn through, and about, film;
- deepen our understanding of diverse cultures, perspectives, and experiences through film; and
- create a forum for ongoing dialogue inspired by cinema.
The Sunshine Coast Film Society undertakes to find and exhibit a diversity of films, including those of local and regional filmmakers, that give voice to compelling content, images, and ideas.
The Society came into being on Sunday, October 28, 2001. The purposes as stated in the Constitution are:
- To bring and exhibit moving images in any format to the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.
- To promote the Canadian and international culture of moving images on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.
- To educate the public about Canadian and international moving images and related cultural and aesthetic issues through screenings, lectures, discussions, publications, conferences, special events and other means.
- To encourage and facilitate screenings, lectures, discussions, publications, conferences, special events and the like, relevant to the Canadian and international art, culture and practice of moving images and related fields, on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.
- To do everything reasonably and lawfully necessary and proper for the attainment of the above purposes.
Board of Directors
Chair: Doug Dyment
Treasurer: Richard Melville
Other Directors: Gretchen Bozak, Linda Wishart
…and the people behind the scenes
Administrator: Donna McMahon
Programming: Bob Burdett, Don Fairweather, Gretchen Bozak, Victoria Frodsham
Special Events: Sarah Payne
Postering: Roger Swickis
Logo Design: Marleen Vermeulen
Website: Digital Dandelion Web Design
Past Presidents: Tim McLaughlin, Judith Hammill, Alison Sawyer, Judy Lynne.
Volunteer Coordinator: Ann Schiebelbein
Sponsorships: Rod Olafson
Membership Coordinator: Carol Barber
Membership Assistants: Anita Couvrette, Sherry Hallson, Rod Olafson, Marj Brown, Cindy Riach, Sue Inglis
Front of House: Ann and Jim Schiebelbein
Box Office: Greg Marshall, Janey Marshall, Marian Williamson, Gail Kuhlmann, Jude Grebeldinger, Alan Sirulnikoff, Rose Clarke, Jenny Alexander
Technical Coordinator: Billie Carroll
Projectionists: Billie Carroll, Sandi McGinnis
Sechelt Coordinator: Karyn Burney
Sponsorships: Karyn Burney
Front of House: Vicki Tyndall
Membership Coordinator: Beverly McEwan
Box Office: Fern Walker, Ursula Schmidhauser, John Bebbington, Francine Golbeck
Postering: Kathy Pierce
Special thanks to
Zeta Gaudet, Heritage Playhouse manager and Deb Proby, Raven’s Cry Theatre.
Become a volunteer
Yes, we need you!
We need ticket sellers and membership takers at screening. Between shows volunteers help with fundraising, publicity, special events, and on the board of directors. You must be a current SCFS member to volunteer. Contact us or speak to one of us at one of the screenings.